Who we are and the types of personal data we collect
At Kingston Rowing Club (‘KRC”), we collect and process all or some of the following information from our members (or parents or guardians of members) and those (or parents of guardians of those) who participate in our Adult Learn to Row (“ALR”) and Junior Learn to Row (“JLR”) courses:
- full name, address, telephone and email details
- another person’s emergency contact details for a members or participants on ALR or JLR courses
- age details
- certain health related details (including height, weight, relevant health conditions (such as injuries, conditions or allergies) and certain biometric information
- certain financial details comprising their bank account details (from which membership subscriptions are paid via lump sum or direct debit or by which race fees are paid) and any arrears in payment of membership subscriptions and/or race fees
- the British Rowing membership number for those of our members who have such membership
- from time to time, lists of members interests in events and/or their participation in membership wide surveys or safety quizzes
- certain athletic performance data
How we collect personal information and why
All of the information provided to KRC is received directly from the relevant member and/or parent/guardian.
The information that we collect and process is only made accessible either as you may agree (eg by joining WhatsApp groups) or providing other information direct to fellow members or parents) or to officers, coaches or volunteers in the club who we reasonably determine need to know and process your information in order to undertake the normal actions that we require to undertake to operate as a rowing club. Theses activities might include communicating with our members with regard to rowing and social activities and events (including seeking volunteering support for events); the entry into certain rowing events; safety or health related reasons for you as a member or for other members; to enable the smooth operation of our financial affairs (eg the need to collect arrears of subscriptions and/or race fees or to reimburse expenses) and to promote potential fundraising activities for the benefit of our rowing and rowing related objectives (eg fund raising for new boats, our boathouse etc).
Your information will be kept for the period of time of your membership and/or participation period in our ALR or JLR and, in the case of former members (or parents/guardians of former members), we will retain certain of contact details so as to enable us to contact you regarding potential club events and fundraising projects (as it is often the case that a lot of our essential fundraising comes from our past members with fond memories of their time at the club). We may retain certain information for longer, for example for any applicable claims limitation period or if retention is specifically required to meet our legal obligations.
The lawful bases we rely on to process your personal data (in accordance with the UK’s data protection legislation) are:
- Performance of a contractual obligation (for example, delivering the rowing courses you have signed up for);
- Legal obligation (for example, fulfilling our safeguarding obligations in relation to children);
- Vital interests (for example, we need certain information to protect your life in the event of an emergency);
- Legitimate interests (for example, when we send you information about fundraising events).
Where we collect special categories of personal data from you (for example, health or biometric data), in addition to having one of the lawful bases set out above, we will always identify a specific condition for processing this type of data. Usually this will be to protect your vital interests or (in relation to the safeguarding of children or where there is a need to maintain standards of behaviour in sport) substantial public interest, but sometimes we may seek your explicit consent.
Your rights and how to exercise them
Under data protection law, you have the right (at no charge), inter alia, by contacting us at [email protected] to:
- access to your information and the right to receive a copy
- require us to rectify any of your information
- request the erasure of your information in certain circumstances
- request that we restrict your data for processing in certain circumstances
If you have any concerns or complaints about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to us at [email protected]. You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data whose contact details are Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF; 03031231113; https://www.ico.org.uk